Game 28- Hednesford Town 3 Rushall Olympic 4 01/01/2013

Firstly , Happy New Year to all the followers of adji the groundhopper and to get the new year off to a decent start i visited a new ground , Keys Park home of Hednesford Town of the Evo stik Northern Premier as they took on their sort of local neighbours Rushall Olympic.

The Main Stand

The Main Stand

I arrived at about 2.55pm and decided to stand on the terraces for a pound less than sitting in the stand but you have a lot more freedom to move around.Second placed Hednesford , known as the Pitmen took to the field in their usual white and black strip and 14th placed Pics in an all red strip. The sun was shining as kick off commenced but it was the winter sun with no heat in it .

Stand behind the goal

Stand behind the goal

It took Hednesford just 7 minutes to capitalize when they were awarded a penalty and  Gemmell dived to early leaving Elliot Durell an easy finish. A stunned Pics side set about getting an equalizer but relied to heavily on Ahmed Obeng and could not break through although Dickinson in the Hednesford goal seemed to only know one move and that was to punch every ball that came near him.


It was 2-0 on 21 minutes, when Ramone Stevens gave away possession and the ball was ran down the right-wing before being put low into the box and a grateful Neil Harvey bundled in a tap in from 2 yards.The game was halted for a moment after a green smoke bomb was thrown on the pitch and a steward ran on and hurled it into shrubland behind the goal. That was the way it stayed till half time when me and my friend Antony (yes i promised i would mention him) visited the hot dog van for a very welcome bovril drink as the temperature plummeted and also had a burger with a  really stale bap that broke into bits so must do better on the food front.


The second half started really well , when the ex Stafford Rangers and Worcester defender Wayne Daniel headered home on 53 minutes. Hednesford replied well though a couple of minutes later from a free kick that Ben Bailey headered home. Sadly , the Pitmen’s afternoon took a sour turn when Francis at the back was sent off for a second bookable offence when he took out Obeng and Joel Purkiss who had only been on the pitch for 2 minutes crashed the free kick home.

Rushall then started to put up a real fight and when Barnes missed a header , Dave Walker stormed through and slotted it past Dickinson .The dramatic turn around was completed though on about 93 minutes when Dave Walker grabbed his second as he sent the ball low past Dickinson to send the 25 or so Rushall fans into raptures. All in all i liked the ground , really quite impressive.It has been a ground I have wanted to visit for a number of years now and with the dramatic comeback I would say it has been the best game for me in the season so far.

Admission- £9 (Terrace)   Attendance- 698  Prog-£2  Bovril- £1.50  Burger- £2.50

About adjithegroundhopper

im a young groundhopper from the west midlands
This entry was posted in Games of 2013. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s